Friday, September 9, 2011

Blog post #1 - Introduction

I only speak, read, and write in one language (english). At home my mother speaks Spanish only when im being nosey and she doesnt want me to know what she's talking. I wanted to get back at her when i was aroung 12 years old and made up "jibberish" with my cousin. It was our own language, she would get annoyed wen i speak around her because she knew i was doing it on purpose. I learned english because thats whats spoken around me, i learned a little spanish in school but being that its not a priority to speak i dont concentrate enough to learn it. Language happens when people want to communicate, anybody can make a language as long as they have others to understand or learn it. The first language u learn how to speak isnt learned its adapted. A person pays attention to there surroundings, if they hear everybody around them speaking a certain language that's the language that they're going to speak. This would make it a primary language. If you choose to learn a different language its not the same effect as the first. Your taking your time out to learn and understand a second language, the first language came naturally because its what you're used to.

2 comments:

  1. "Language happens when people want to communicate, anybody can make a language as long as they have others to understand or learn it." This is a very good point you have here. I say so because for some people who don't have enough knowledge its a weird feeling and thinking for them to know how a language was made or who made it.It's the people as you said. Good thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, How often did your mother speak Spanish? I personally thought
    you knew more than one language, but I guessed wrong. Also "Jibberish"
    is a very funny way of getting back at her. I agree with you saying
    that it happens when people want to communicate and that you adapt to
    your environment.

    ReplyDelete